Glued To The Play Button
Is your finger on the play button? A couple of years later and my finger is still stuck on it. This article was first written in 2015. Then, some aspects of my life were coming into focus. The past was rapidly fading and I was diving deep into what Jay Asher wrote in his book, “The Thirteen Reasons Why:”
“You can’t stop the future
You can’t rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
…is to press play.”
When it comes to this issue, there are a few things you should know about me. These are important to how I play:
- I do not care too much what other people think about me.
- My life is lived on my terms and I set my pace, tastes and agenda.
- No one, no matter how important they think they are, tells me what to do.
- Drama, complications and other people’s business do not interest or engage my attention.
- I love hard, deeply, wastefully and easily but can walk away from anyone or anything in like manner.
After 50 years of learning, the “play” button on my life is now permanently pressed.
Press Play And Keep It Moving
Hardly ever looking back but when I do, it is only to see how far I have travelled. My eyes are steadfast on my path. My feet are carefully planted in Source’s footprints. When I do falter, which is often enough, little time is spent berating myself. Usually, I laughingly say to myself, “Claudette, you @$%& up there!”
If apologies are needed, I quickly make them and move on.
Experience has taught me that the best days of life are the ones that are not paused for anything or anyone. Here is something else that I have also learned. Others will almost always try to pause, rewind or stop you and this is easy for them sequence. They are not necessarily malicious nor are their intentions outright evil.
Most people are self-focused and looking out for Number One which is not you. With eyes fixed on their personal wants, needs and desires they just cannot see yours. The sooner you understand that, the easier it will be for you to keep moving.
People Will Push Buttons Or Stab
Then, there are those who have ill intentions. The smiles on their faces belie the fact that there is a knife in their hand. These knives are poised to stab you in the back. Those who are about to do so, wish to pause and rewind your progress. They want to stop you moving forward.
Here is another thing. If your life experiences are anything like mine (or ‘worse’), there are people who will want to keep you stuck in your past. They like when you are dwelling on those memories. These folks never will constantly remind you of your past, especially the missteps.
Misery loves company. Sufferers love group wailing.
Like a broken record, they repeat your backstory. With raised voices, they demand to know who do you think you are? Why do you want to hit play? Leaving the pity party, as far as they are concerned, is not an option.
Thankfully, we are in the digital age. No needles necessary to “play” the record of your life. A play button is always an option. It is the only option to:
- Live in the integrity with who you really are.
- Fulfill your dreams no matter how long you have had them on hold.
- Step up and into the next phase of your development.
- Simply be You.
Those are my choices and here is what I do daily. Take what works for you:
- I seek an audience with my heart each step of MY way.
- While I share openly, I decide privately.
- I change my mind about anything or about any relationship. My intention is to first find what is in my best interest. After that, I seek what serves the highest good for all.
- No one can pressure me, subtly or forcefully, to be or do what is against my better judgment. No one.
- Love is always my choice but not of things. Love of myself and what is loving to others without binding them or me is my goal.
The key to my happiness is pressing the play button on my life AND allowing others to do the same in their lives. Should we both choose the same “song,” then we will dance for as long as it plays. When it is done, it is done.
You get to choose. If you choose to be paused, rewound or stopped by opinionated people and detractors, you will be as a hamster spinning its wheels. You will get nowhere.
Hit play and live your life! Move at the pace and the direction of your heart’s calling. You might see me on the dance-floor if you do!
Need further support choosing? Check out my coaching services here as well as Like me on Facebook. I share daily inspiration posts on a variety of topics. You can also follow me on Twitter and let us go over the playlist together. Check out the archives for conversations that might have some tips for you, as well as my last post.