No Need To Panic
Turning 50, quite honestly, was not something uppermost in my mind so when February 15, 2015 came along, it was just another day. Well, aside from the fact that my family and I had travelled to Jamaica and were in the middle of putting the final touches to my birthday celebration. I woke up that morning feeling just the same as I did at sunrise so many mornings before. Becoming a woman of a certain age had made little difference to my mental or even emotional state of being.
Now, almost a year later, things have changed just a bit. While still not in panic mode as I have seen some friends go through with:
- the sight of the first gray hair on their private part
- the slight sagging of their breasts, foretelling what is to come
- the droop of the butt that no amount of squat will erase forever
there is a familiar feeling arising in me. Acceptance. I will explain further but first read this quote from Benjamin Franklin about “Old Women” and why he recommended that these women of a certain age ought to be preferred.
For The Love Of Women Of A Certain Age
In all your Amours you should prefer old Women to young ones. You call this a Paradox, and demand my Reasons. They are these:
1. Because as they have more Knowledge of the World and their Minds are better stor’d with Observations, their Conversation is more improving and more lastingly agreeable.
2. Because when Women cease to be handsome, they study to be good. To maintain their Influence over Men, they supply the Diminution of Beauty by an Augmentation of Utility. They learn to do a 1000 Services small and great, and are the most tender and useful of all Friends when you are sick. Thus they continue amiable. And hence there is hardly such a thing to be found as an old Woman who is not a good Woman.
3. Because there is no hazard of Children, which irregularly produc’d may be attended with much Inconvenience.
4. Because thro’ more Experience, they are more prudent and discreet in conducting an Intrigue to prevent Suspicion. The Commerce with them is therefore safer with regard to your Reputation. And with regard to theirs, if the Affair should happen to be known, considerate People might be rather inclin’d to excuse an old Woman who would kindly take care of a young Man, form his Manners by her good Counsels, and prevent his ruining his Health and Fortune among mercenary Prostitutes.
5. Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part: The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement.
6. Because the Sin is less. The debauching a Virgin may be her Ruin, and make her for Life unhappy.
7. Because the Compunction is less. The having made a young Girl miserable may give you frequent bitter Reflections; none of which can attend the making an old Woman happy.
8thly and Lastly They are so grateful!!”
Agree or disagree with any or all of his points, feminist or not – you have to admit it is funny! I chuckled a lot as I read it and went to the mirror to look over myself. I have read many articles that suggest that once you become a woman of a certain age, you should basically either roll over and die, or start dressing in sack and ash cloth as you no longer have value due to the “deficiency of the fluids that fill the muscles.” Well, I for one most certainly disagree and is known to do, say and dress as I please.
Birthday Collection For That Woman
Fashionista or diva I am not, so as my birthday approaches and my thoughts went to how am I embracing this woman of a certain age that Claudette is becoming, my friend and Fashion Contributor and Image Consultant, Mardene Carr, sent me files upon files of suggestions. Her words to me was to choose the ones that I liked. Admittedly, while not overly conscious about the lack of fluid in any of my muscles, I must say that sleeveless tops are not my favourite. However, not able to resist some of the ensembles Mardene sent, I chose seven – my favourite number.
Here is our Birthday Collection for women becoming a certain age – and loving it!
All these outfits can be purchased through Mardene’s blog – who I thank very much for the selections that she made for me.
If you would like to join this community, who gather here (virtually) weekdays, sharing our journey, then do sign-up to receive an email update once per day, as well as my free monthly newsletter. You will also get Weekday Wisdom©, Mondays to Fridays. It is a dose of morning motivation to help guide and uplift you throughout the day.
Do have a beautiful rest of the day. By the way, did you take part in our poll yesterday on “What is Love?” Check it out and share your experience and understanding of love as we continue to enjoy this special month.