Move That Body
For most people, the choice to be healthy and active is harder than copping out and hitting a drive-thru on the way home. After a long day at work, going to the gym can seem incredibly daunting. But in addition to those pivotal choices, there are small, simple choices you may not even realize you are being presented with throughout the day to improve your wellness.
These little things can add up to make a big difference over time. So here are some ways to grab extra exercise throughout the day.
Easy Ways To Wellness
1. Do not bring all the groceries in from the car in one trip. Though it is more efficient, you can get extra steps in bringing the bags in two or three at a time.
2. Do not take the easy way out when it comes to working outside—choose to use the push mower and not the ride-on. Wash your car by hand than zipping through the car wash.
3. Use the stairs. If you use public transportation, get off a few blocks from work or home and walk the rest of the way.
4. Rather than driving the kids to and from school, commit to walking them there and back. This will get you, the kiddos, and the family dog a little more active.
5. Is hunching over a keyboard all day giving you a sore neck and back? Your muscles will actually adapt to this position which reduces mobility. Give yourself a break periodically: face a wall and rest your forearms against it so your elbows are by your ribs. Slide your forearms up to form a Y, then pull them back off the wall. Then do the reverse to the starting position. Repeat 10 times, then get back to work.
6. To loosen up your legs, use your desk for balance and squat until your glutes nearly touch your heels. Hold that position for about 45 seconds before rising again, then repeat a few times.
7. Eat a quick-lunch at your desk, then do a couple of laps around the office or outside the building until your break is over. You may find coworkers who are also interested in doing the same, giving you a walking buddy.
8. Consider making an exercise jar that includes things you can do in the cubicle at work—push-ups, crunches, planks, and lunges can all be done in relative secrecy. Every 45 minutes or so, fish out a slip and do what it says. This will help you get stronger, and it will also keep blood flowing which helps productivity.
9. If your meeting friends for dinner or drinks after work, arrange to meet at a restaurant within walking distance from the office.
10. Set something motivating as the lock screen of your phone—a picture of the beach, the salad you are proud to have brought for lunch, or your kids looking happy outside in the sun. Remind yourself why it is all worth it and then reach for the exercise jar.
Whether you are able to devote time to a gym membership or not, there are plenty of choices to be made that can have a positive effect on your wellness. Often, an important step is simply recognizing an opportunity for a healthier decision and making it. baby steps!
Katelyn Roth lives in Pittsburg where she is continuing her studies. I am proud to have Katelyn as a member of the team of Contributors here. Check out her most recent post on “10 Nudges To Get You Motivated To Workout.” Subscribe and receive updates when Katelyn and other Contributors post articles to this blog.
Tomorrow, Contributor Alexis Ali, author of our first short story series – “The Unfortunate Life of An Interesting Woman,” will begin a new short story series. This one is no romance story but tells a tale that is often not discussed – abusive mothers and the winding road they travel. Be sure to check this out and read Alexis’ most recent article on “The 2 Dreaded Questions Single Women Still Face.”